One of the essential item inside anyone’s makeup box is a makeup sponge, the tool that blends our foundation so flawlessly that nothing can take its place. The growing popularity of makeup sponges over brushes is undeniable, they are now used for most cream based makeup products as well as powder based products.
Which brings us to our subject here, how to clean makeup sponges? Which in principle, seems pretty basic. Just wash it with soap, right?
That’s what we thought too, but we’re sure you must have seen those viral videos all over the internet where they would cut open a makeup sponge and it revealed all that built up gunk and sometimes even FUNGUS! Sent shivers down our spines…
But don’t you worry! We have compiled some amazing ways for you to effectively clean your makeup sponges to make them as good as new.
CLEANSING SOLUTION FOR MAKEUP SPONGES
The easiest method to clean your makeup sponge is by simply cleaning it with a cleansing solution made for cleaning the sponge specifically. Multiple brands have come up with their own products formulated to clean makeup sponges effectively.
All you have to do is:
- Run your sponge under water
- Squeeze it and allow it to swell
- Then use the cleansing solution on the sponge
- Lather it up
- Finally rinse it thoroughly.
However, this might be the least cost effective method. So if you’re working on a budget, keep reading, because the coming hacks are super easy and wallet friendly.
OIL TO DISSOLVE THE MAKEUP RESIDUE
Did you know most of the beauty products are oil based? Which is why oil serves as a great solvent for the makeup stuck in your makeup sponges.
- Take a bowl and put some oil (cocnut oil, olive oil or baby oil) in it just to make a small pool on the base
- Swirl you sponge around in the oil, squeezing it, so maximum absorption can take place
- Keep on swirling and squeezing until the oil squeezing out of the sponge is product free
- Now take your sponge in a separate bowl with soap water in it, thoroughly wash out the oil from the sponge
- Rinse the sponge enough and let it dry.
Heat serves to effectively kill any bacteria or mold growing up in your sponge and also melts out the product built up inside the makeup sponge.
- Take your sponge and immerse it in a bowl of soap water
- Put the bowl in the microwave and heat for 1 minute
- Take the bowl out and let it cool down a little
- Take the sponge out with the help of tongs and when it is cool to touch, squeeze out the hot soapy water ( be very careful)
- Repeatedly rinse and squeeze the sponge and then let it dry
Make sure the sponge is totally immersed in water and has absorbed water fully before putting it inside the microwave oven, otherwise the makeup sponge can burn/melt.
DO YOUR LAUNDRY
Here’s the hack you never thought about, but was always in front of your eyes. Yes! It’s exactly what you think it is. Pop in your beauty blender with the rest of your laundry in the washing machine and we guarantee you it will come out as clean as new.
Now that you know how easy it is to clean your makeup sponges, go grab yours and let its real color reveal itself from under all that makeup!
Is it necessary to clean makeup sponges?
Of course. Over time, the makeup sponges absorb a lot of product into itself and if not cleaned it basically turns into a petri dish harboring bacteria and molds. If this sponge is used on the face it can cause breakouts, eczema, skin infections and what not.
How often should I clean my beauty sponge?
A beauty sponge used on a daily basis should be cleaned at least twice or thrice a week to keep it hygienic and increase its longevity.
How should I store my makeup sponge?
A wet makeup sponge should always be allowed to air dry in a well-ventilated environment before putting it in a box or cupboard, otherwise it can pick up mold and/or bacteria. After the sponge is dry it can be stored in a separate box or pouch.
How long does a makeup sponge last?
The longevity of the makeup sponge depends on its quality and the care with which it is kept, if regularly cleaned it can last from 3 to 6 months.